About Vollum Library
The Vollum Library currently holds over 3,000 publications relating to Japanese gardens and Japanese arts and culture. The operation of this library was made possible by the generous donation from the Vollum family. The library occupies a single, multi purpose room that comfortably functions as a library space for a small group of users and also serves as a conference room when the library is closed. This library supports the activities of the garden by maintaining, developing and sharing print, audio and visual resources to aid Portland Japanese Garden members and students of The International Japanese Garden Training Center in understanding garden practices and Japanese culture and aesthetics.
Access and Hours
Priority access to the library is reserved for Garden members, volunteers, students of The International Japanese Garden Training Center, and staff. Visitors to the Garden are welcome to explore the library as well. The Vollum Library is a lending library for staff only.
Library users are welcome to visit in person to view the physical collection. The space is limited and can accommodate around a dozen people at a time.
Explore our collection in the Library’s online catalog.
Hours of Operation
- 1-4pm on Mondays
- 1-4pm on Thursdays
- 9am-2pm Friday
- 9am-2pm Saturday
Who has access?
- Garden members
- Students of The International Japanese Garden Training Center
- Portland Japanese Garden Staff
- Visitors to the Japanese Garden upon paying Garden admission.
What You'll Need
Members, volunteers, and students of The International Japanese Garden Training Center are welcome to use the library during operation hours. Please fill out the sign-in sheet when you enter the library and as you leave the library.
- For Portland Japanese Garden members, please bring your valid Member ID
- For volunteers, please bring your volunteer name tag
- For students of The International Japanese Garden Training Center, we already have your name on file
- Portland Japanese Garden staff do not need ID
Considerations While in the Library
Please be aware of the following considerations while visiting the library:
- No eating or drinking
- No cell phone use
- No removing books from the library premise
- Please use the library as a resource to learn more about Japanese gardens and culture and refrain from using the library as a personal workspace.
How to find a Book
The library collection can be viewed online through the Portland Japanese Garden Vollum Library Catalog. All publications in the library are organized by the Vollum Library Classification. During library operating hours, staff are available to help explore the catalog and to search for specific books. Please ask library staff for assistance for a more in-depth search.
Donating Books to the Vollum Library
The Vollum Library is not currently accepting unsolicited donations of books.