The Garden is located in the hills of Portland, Oregon’s iconic Washington Park, directly above the International Rose Test Garden in Washington Park at 611 SW Kingston Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97205
Garden Shuttle Service
The shuttle will be available with very limited seating during regular Garden Hours and is available upon request during member-only hours. Riders will be required to wear face coverings. Learn more about how we’ve adjusted to help all our guests enjoy the Garden safely, here.
For information on accessibility, please visit japanesegarden.org/accessibility.
Avoid Parking Hassles. Come By Mass Transit.
Year-round, the Garden is served by TriMet bus #63 which connects to the MAX stations at the Oregon Zoo and Providence Park.
Or you can take the Red or Blue line MAX train to the Washington Park stop (aka, the Zoo) and then take a free Explore Washington Park shuttle to the Garden.
The Explore Washington Park Free Shuttle
Every day May through October and on the weekends November – April, the Explore Washington Park Free Shuttle links Portland Japanese Garden to the Washington Park MAX station, as well as the other park attractions.
Frequency: Every 15 minutes
Daily: May – September from 9:30am to 7pm, October 10am – 4pm
Weekends: November – March from 9:30am to 5:30pm, April 10am – 7pm
Shuttle Route and Stops
- Washington Park MAX Station
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial
- Hoyt Arboretum
- Holocaust Memorial
- Portland Japanese Garden / International Rose Test Garden
- Archery Range
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Get directions to the Garden from wherever you are on Google.
From Downtown Portland:
- Take West Burnside for approximately 2.5 miles west toward Washington Park
- Turn left at Tichner Drive and head toward Kingston Avenue
- Turn right on Kingston Avenue and head toward the Garden’s Welcome Center
From U.S. 26 East or West
- Take Exit 72 for Zoo/Forestry Center
- Follow park signs to get to the Portland Japanese Garden
For general information about parking in Washington Park, click here.
Due to the Washington Park Reservoir improvement project, there will be a significant reduction of parking spots around Washington Park. For more information, please click here.
Biketown has officially launched inside Washington Park with two stations: one is designated near the Holocaust Memorial at SW Park Place and the other is located on SW Rose Garden Way.
Limited Parking at the Garden During The Following Washington Park Events
- Zoo Brew
- June 7 (6:30 – 9:30pm)
- June 8 (6:30 – 9:30pm)
- Peacock in the Park, June 30 (1:00 – 5:00pm)
- Zoo Concerts
- June 15 (7:00pm)
- June 22 (6:30pm)
- June 29 (7:00pm)
- July 21 (7:00pm)
- July 27 (6:00pm)
- July 28 (6:30pm)
- August 2 (7:00pm)
- August 6 (6:00pm)
- August 9 (6:00pm)
- August 10 (6:00pm)
- August 11 (7:00pm)
- August 12 (6:00pm)
- August 13 (7:00pm)
- August 15 (7:00pm)
- August 16 (7:00pm)
- August 17 (7:00pm)
- August 25 (7:00pm)
- September 6 (7:00pm)
- September 7 (7:00pm)
- Oktoberfest at the Oregon Zoo, September 28 (3:00 – 7:00pm)
- Oregon Zoo Summer Solstice Race, June 21
- Washington Park Summer Concerts, August 1 – August 4 (beginning at 6:30pm)