Portland Japanese Garden is located in the hills of Portland, Oregon’s iconic Washington Park, directly above the International Rose Test Garden at 611 SW Kingston Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97205
Garden Shuttle Service
The shuttle will be available with very limited seating during regular Garden Hours and is available upon request during member-only hours.
For information on accessibility, please visit japanesegarden.org/accessibility.
Avoid Parking Hassles. Come By Mass Transit.
Year-round, the Garden is served by TriMet bus #63 which connects to the MAX stations at the Oregon Zoo and Providence Park.
Or you can take the Red or Blue line MAX train to the Washington Park stop (aka, the Zoo) and then take a the Explore Washington Park Free Shuttle to the Garden.
You can also check the Washington Park real-time parking availability tracker prior to your arrival.
The Explore Washington Park Free Shuttle
The Explore Washington Park Free Shuttle operates daily from 9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., March through September.
Shuttle Route and Stops
- Washington Park MAX Light Rail Station/Oregon Zoo/World Forestry Center
- Vietnam Veterans of Oregon Memorial
- Hoyt Arboretum
- Lewis & Clark Memorial
- Oregon Holocaust Memorial
- Int’l Rose Test Garden/Portland Japanese Garden
- Archery Range
Get directions to the Garden from wherever you are on Google.
From Downtown Portland:
- Take West Burnside for approximately 2.5 miles west toward Washington Park
- Turn left at Tichner Drive and head toward Kingston Avenue
- Turn right on Kingston Avenue and head toward the Garden’s Welcome Center
From U.S. 26 East or West
- Take Exit 72 for Zoo/Forestry Center
- Follow park signs to get to the Portland Japanese Garden
On-site parking fills up quickly. For general information about parking in Washington Park, click here.
Due to the Washington Park Reservoir improvement project, there will be a significant reduction of parking spots around Washington Park. For more information, please click here.
Biketown has officially launched inside Washington Park with two stations: one is designated near the Holocaust Memorial at SW Park Place and the other is located on SW Rose Garden Way.